From beautiful beaches and windswept moors to cascading waterfalls and historic villages, Devon is such a diverse county with plenty of romantic spots and things to do wherever you find yourself.
Some, such as the world-class surfing beach of Croyde, are more well-known than others - but there are plenty of hidden gems out there. Let us inspire and lead you to experience the magic of a romantic holiday in Devon this year.
Here are our top five romantic locations in Devon with some special things to do with your loved one while you’re there:
At the heart of an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, Croyde has long been a popular destination for couples to visit due to the charming buildings, welcoming pubs and most of all the wonderful beach (pictured above). For the best views of the surrounding area, head to Baggy Point where you'll be treated to panoramic vistas of the golden sands, the coastline and country: a great spot to spend hours looking into the distance together.
Romantic things to do in Croyde:
- Active couples can don wetsuits and help each other catch a wave in the surf at Croyde Beach followed by a peaceful picnic on the sand.
- Hide away in one of Croyde’s cosy 17th-century inns, basking in the warmth of an open fire and sampling some hearty local food and ales.
- Treat your loved one to a cone of warm, homemade popcorn and settle in a deckchair for a romantic movie night at the Croyde Deckchair Cinema.
Stay in one of our romantic cottages in Croyde:
Read our ‘local’s guide to Croyde’ for some more inspiration
Attracting thousands of visitors each year, Dartmoor has a unique charm about it. From incredible views of heather-strewn moorlands, deep wooded valleys and coursing rivers to the historical rock formations that are scattered across the 368 square kilometres of land. This vast wilderness is the perfect place for couples to lose themselves in the peace and quiet and experience a sense of freedom and escapism together.
Romantic things to do on Dartmoor:
- Pack a picnic and climb a Dartmoor tor for the most spectacular views - perhaps you’ll be joined by wild Dartmoor ponies.
- Make your romantic walk in Dartmoor that extra bit special by inviting a llama along for some company – a once-in-a-lifetime experience you will never forget!
- Grab a blanket and bottle of wine, and make the most of Dartmoor’s clear, dark skies by stargazing long into the night.
Stay in one of our romantic cottages in Dartmoor:
Read our ‘local’s guide to Dartmoor’ for some more inspiration
Valley of Rocks
North Devon is famed for its rugged coastline, and this is perhaps most prominent at the Valley of Rocks. Head to Lynton and Lynmouth to enjoy these spectacular rock formations with the valley offering breathtaking views. You'll see wild goats wandering the rocks and on a clear day, you may even be able to glimpse South Wales in the distance.
Romantic things to do at the Valley of Rocks:
- Join the South West Coast Path and enjoy a hand-in-hand stroll along the clifftops, looking out for dolphins and seals in the surf below.
- After a bracing walk along the valley and coast, relax with a traditional Devon cream tea in the valley’s tearoom – just remember its cream before the jam in Devon!
- Take in a show at the open-air Pleasure Dome Theatre for a magical evening amidst the captivating scenery of the valley.
Stay in one of our romantic cottages in Lynton and Lynmouth:
Read our ‘local’s guide to Lynton and Lynmouth’ for some more inspiration
One of the most picturesque villages in the county, Salcombe has a reputation as being the destination of choice for the rich and famous. Part of the South Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, there is an abundance of sandy beaches in the area which are ideal for shoreline strolls and romantic picnics all year round. The harbour is a busy hive of activity and hidden around Salcombe's winding streets you'll find a selection of restaurants often serving the catch of the day. Why not make Valentine's Day special and book a meal here?
Romantic things to do in Salcombe:
- Share a picnic of strawberries, cream and perhaps a glass of champagne on one of Salcombe’s secluded beaches; Sunny Cove is a great spot.
- Hire a self-drive boat from Whitestrand Quay and take to the seas on a romantic adventure for two – you could even stop for a pub lunch on your journey.
- Set in an old boathouse, the bar of Salcombe Distilling Company has a balcony that overlooks the estuary, making it an idyllic place to relax with a G&T as the sun sets.
Stay in one of our romantic cottages in Salcombe:
Read our ‘local’s guide to Salcombe’ for some more inspiration
Slowly meander the steep cobbled streets of Clovelly, taking in the wonderful views along the way. You'll pass a series of whitewashed, flower-strewn cottages with a few quaint shops, a pub and tearooms hidden in between. When you reach the bottom of this atmospheric little village, soak up the glorious coastal vistas from the harbour as fishermen mend their nets and tend to their lobster pots. It's a wonderful way to spend time with a loved one.
Romantic things to do in Clovelly:
- Hop aboard one of the boats in the harbour to enjoy a fishing trip out to sea where you might spot dolphins and porpoises leaping above the crests of the waves.
- Experience a craft workshop together at Clovelly Pottery and create your own hand-thrown pot to take home as a memento of your wonderful day.
- Sample some freshly caught lobster in one of Clovelly’s pubs and restaurants; The New Inn and Red Lion both offer incredible views over the quay and harbour as you dine.
Stay in one of our romantic cottages in Clovelly:
Read our ‘local’s guide to Clovelly’ for some more inspiration
Feeling romantic? We have a fantastic selection of romantic cottages in Devon, as well as some lovely lodges and log cabins, so browse our collection and find the perfect hideaway for your romantic holiday today.