Here at Stay in Devon, we’re passionate about Devon and to celebrate this passion we have produced a guide to why you should love this diverse county too.
Places of interest
We could almost write an endless list of places that you need to see during a holiday in Devon. From north to south, Devon has plenty of attractions and landmarks that all make fantastic days out. Jump aboard the MS Oldenburg and sail to Lundy Island just off the north coast for a day exploring one of the wonders of the British Isles. Be sure to visit Clovelly for a stroll down the famed cobbles to the picturesque harbour which provides a peaceful backdrop for a day in Devon. It’s not all focused in the north though with Exeter Cathedral, Buckfast Abbey, Plymouth Hoe, and Sandy Park amongst others all providing excellent days out across the county.
In Devon you’ll find 77 beaches across the 330km of coastline all uniquely beautiful in their own way. Woolacombe was recently voted the best beach in the UK and is a must-visit location with the vast expanse of golden sands that makes this popular with all that visit. Even our four-legged friends get to enjoy the beauty of the beaches in Devon with 43 of them being dog-friendly.
Devon is renowned for its quality of food and there is plenty of local produce available in the cafés and restaurants across the county. You can’t visit Devon without sampling some local cider or ice cream which has led the way for production across the UK, and of course sample a cream tea the Devon way, cream first!
- Devon is the only county in the UK with two national parks
- Devon is also the only county with two separate coastlines
- Every August, Appledore hosts the World Crabbing Championships
- Home the oldest golf course in England at Royal North Devon Golf Club
- Critically acclaimed movie War Horse was filmed on Dartmoor National Park
- Devon is the birthplace to several well-known figures and celebrities including Agatha Christie, Tom Daley, Sir Francis Drake, and Joss Stone
Fallen in love with Devon? We don't blame you! Why not check out our range of accommodation in the county to find your perfect home-from-home? We have a wonderful selection of Devon cottages, hotels, B&Bs and holiday parks, offering something for everyone.