There are so many different ways to see in the New Year it can often be tough to decide where to go to celebrate the clock striking midnight.
Whether you want to indulge in lavish luxury at a top hotel, take to the streets to join the fancily-dressed masses with your mates or dance the night away to a live band in an edgy venue, there are plenty of options on how to enjoy New Year's Eve in Devon.
To help, here is our pick of the top ways to see in 2019 in Devon:
Every year the beautiful town of Bideford hosts one of the best New Year's Eve parties in the UK - and this year's celebrations are expected to be bigger and better than ever before! This legendary street party welcomes a mix of locals and holidaymakers travelling from all over who get-together in a whole range of fancy dress costumes for a memorable night.
The celebrations start early in the day often with events running in the charming Pannier Market for children and families. As the sun goes down the party continues down on The Quay with live music from fantastic bands and musicians, while, as the clock strikes midnight, the thousands of revellers all in fancy dress run across the Old Bridge before joining in for a sing-song of Auld Lange Syne under a spectacular firework display.
- The fancy dress run across Old Bridge
- Fireworks light up the night sky at midnight
- Family events earlier in the day so children can enjoy New Year's Eve as much as the grown-ups!
A close rival to Bideford, the Dartmouth New Year's Eve celebrations are also a great carnival package. Thousands of revellers, nearly all in fancy dress, crowd the narrow streets and embankment area waiting expectantly for the church bells to sound at midnight before partying into the early hours. Expect people to begin congregating in the streets from about 8pm.
This beautiful old riverfront town is also full of pubs and eateries so you can head to dinner before the big night or step inside for a drink or snack if the weather turns. The church which everyone listens for at midnight can be found down by the harbour which is also where the fireworks will be set off celebrating the arrival of the new year.
- The unique 'bong' of the church bells striking midnight to end the year right
- More fantastic fancy dress with revellers going all out to impress
- Fireworks down by the quaint Boatfloat harbour
A place for completely silly New Year's Eve fun, the Phoenix in Exeter is a must for those looking to party. By day, this venue is an arts centre with performances and exhibitions to attend, but for New Year's Eve, this space is transformed into one big party. Starting at 8pm and finishing in the early hours, every year offers up a new theme to dress to, with previous events being named Back To The Future, Party in the Cosmos, and Party like it's 1999.
It promises themed fun, drinks and decor and has hosted a mix of fun things for revellers including silent discos, live bands and photobooths, with fancy dress fully encouraged. This excellent venue is also right in the heart of the city with Exeter Cathedral nearby and plenty of places to eat too. With so many space-age themes the last few years, we can't wait to see what they do this year! Check out the Exeter Phoenix website to find out what's on and book tickets.
- Live music from a range of local and national acts - Dizzy Rascal performed a couple of years ago!
- Silent disco so you can pick and choose your favourite tunes
- Many more fantastic themed areas which have included a Space Bar, Dystopian Karaoke and a room simply named 'Wild Wild West'
A tempting menu and good old-fashioned fun await you at Boringdon Hall in Plymouth this year. It's a glamourous event where you can dress to the nines in your very best attire for a night of wining and dining at this socialite event. Be tempted by the Champagne reception that awaits you upon arrival or the five-course meal you get to enjoy while you converse with other guests.
This annual gathering promises to be one of the area's most fabulous and exclusive events, with additional goings-on throughout the night including live music, a casino where you can try your luck and fireworks as a spectacular finish to the evening. Just make sure you dig out your glad rags, as black-tie attire and masks are essential!
- A delectable five-course meal including an amuse-bouche, a meat, fish or vegetarian option, and selection of cheeses
- Live band and DJ provide excellent entertainment so you'll be dancing all night
- Grab your shawl or dinner jacket and head out into the night to be dazzled by fireworks on the lawn
If you're looking for more glamour in Devon, New Year's Eve at Bovey Castle will be right up your street. An extravagant black-tie and cocktail dress event, their New Year's Eve party is all about glitz providing a spectacular evening with exquisite food, ballroom dancing, and live music to keep everyone on their feet into the early hours.
Attend this gala dinner dressed in your best evening wear and once again you can indulge yourself with a Champagne reception and delectable food. Entertainment includes a piper and a live band and, at midnight, everyone spills out onto the grounds for New Year's Eve fireworks. Bovey Castle is a beautiful place to visit for the evening for those wishing to retreat away from the street parties and enjoy some quality time in the surrounding grounds.
- A six-course black-tie dinner where you can start the evening with good food and lively conversation
- Step back in time by ballroom dancing across the floor while the band plays
- Step outside into the cool night air to see fireworks light up the sky and the castle when midnight strikes
Whichever event in Devon you choose to visit, have a fantastic time and remember to celebrate responsibly. And, if you're visiting from further afield, be sure to take a look at our range of self-catering cottages in Devon to find your ideal home-from-home.
Disclaimer: Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information at the time of writing,
please ensure you check carefully before making any decisions based on the contents within this article.